to have my cake and eat it too...

This blog is about things that trouble me at this moment of time. Its all about my likings. After all it is my cake....

Monday, May 15, 2006

Reserved friends.

The hot thing in newspapers right now is the protest by Medical students and an organisation called youth for equality all over India against the HRD minister Arjun Singh's proposal against 50 % reservations for minorities in all Educational institutions across the board. In this context, I got a wonderful SMS joke today, which goes like this;
Why does Arjun Singh have sex only three days a week?
Ans: Because for the rest three days his wife is reserved for OBC's and on Sunday's for SC/ST.

I know it is a crude joke and bit vulgar considering that Arjun Singh such an old man and his sex life must be almost non-existent, we presume. But the point is well made. So I aptly started forwarding the sms'es to my friends. Of course, I was being sensitive enough not forward to any of the girls (I did not want any feminist backlash), then I also thought should I not forward this message to any of friends who belong to the Reserved category. That's when I realised, I really do not know the caste or category of my friends. So just messaged most off them who would like this joke. That highlights the point, that we don't in normal life discriminate among the caste. Caste based discrimination is very prominent in uneducated and Rural India. Religion based discrimination is very prevalent among all classes in this country but not caste based. This discrimination has been created by the politicians, first by Mandal commission and then now with Arjun Singh's last ditch effort for glory.
Lot of commentators in the media seem to write, how shallow these anti-reservationists are and how they do not care for the greater good of the country. What this commentators do not get, is that we have had reservations for the last 15 years. Who has benefited from it.... only private colleges which are owned by politicians. I did my Engineering from college which had rotten or non-existent infrastructure. This college is owned by now Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mr. Vilasrao Deshmukh. That time, he was a rebel leader, fighting against Sharad Pawar. But now in power, he has put all his black money on the college, built a illegal building for them in Versova (a posh locality in Mumbai). Do you think he could have swindled so much if he did not sell those vacant OBC and SC/ST seats to candidates who would have got in some the top colleges if it were'nt for reservation. The same goes with most other private colleges in Maharashtra, which are owned and benefited by crooked politicians.
If these politicians had their way, there will be wide spread discrimination in our country. Before every job interview, interviewers would like to know if the candidate actually deserved the IIT degree or was just "being born a the right place at the right time". The Reservationists claim that the above syndrome is exactly that they are trying to combat. But the truth is contrary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home